Proveniens iFokus

Proveniens

Etikett: amerikaforskning
Läst 8208 ggr
Leiper
0

Johan Johansson/Sandberg, från Glimåkra?

Har fått en fråga från Ed Degerstrom i USA ang en av deras släktingars man som hette John Sandberg:

Also, I have been looking for the husband of one of Lars Frederik Degerstrom's daughters. His name in USA was John Sandberg, imigration about 1884…in Sweden it was Johan (John) Johansson born 1862. In his family bible it says his records are in the University city of Lund. He also wrote.. Glimakra, Kristianstad. Is there some place in Lund I could contact, or would I need more information?

Degerstrom-familjen kom 1881 till Monson, Maine ifrån Degersel i Råneå socken, men denna Sandberg verkar alltså varit från Skåne. Men jag har inte hittat någon sådan i de små försök jag gjort, 1880 års folkräkning på SVAR och div sökningar i DDSS, kanske någon annan kan veta mer? Det är iofs John Sandbergs son Ernest f. 1890 i Maine som var gift med Evelyn Degerstrom.

Jag har även hänvisat Ed till Landsarkivet i Lund ifall de kan veta mer, men det skadar ju inte att försöka så här också, tänkte jag… Glad

svenake
0
#1

Jag hittar endast en Johan född i Glimåkra 1862  27 dec. Han var tviling och hans bror hette nils. Deras far  var arb. Måns Nilsson, så det stämmer inte,  -  men deras mor hette Svenborg Johnsdotter.

Dessutom finns det en som heter Johan men där stämmer varken far eller mor.

Vem skrev Glimakra, var det Ed eller Johan (John)

Leiper
0
#2

Tack för din hjälp, snällt att nån kikar på detta.

Glimåkra är nog det som står i den gamla bibeln, vad jag tolkat det som iaf, eller åtminstone som Johan skrivit. Det är ju inte helt säkert att han verkligen var född där, men det är ju det närmaste vi har än så länge… Undrar varför det nämns om universitetet i Lund, kanske var han student där..?

Jag provade även lite på NAD om nåt arkiv om "Sandberg" men det finns inte där iaf, men det närmaste jag kommer är en J A Johanssons brevsamling där, men han är för ung, född 1879…

Nån som har koll på EMIBAS eller några passagearlistor osv, omkr 1884?

svenake
0
#3

Skulle vara:

Dessutom finns det som heter John men där stämmer varken far eller mor.

I vilket sammanhang i bibeln står det  "Glimakra, Kristianstad"

I Kristianstad finns det många Johan födda 1862,  en del uppger man endast moderns namn och hon var ogift.

chrissan
0
#4

Har han prövat med Ernests födelsebevis eller John Sandbergs dödsbevis? I det senare kan namn på föräldrar och andra uppgifter förekomma.

Leiper
0
#5

#3 Ja, det skulle kunna vara någon uä som sedan byter namn…

#4 Det vet jag inte om han gjort, men jag kan kolla upp det. Ev också vigseluppgifterna på John och hans hustru förståss…

chrissan
0
#6

Husaren John Johansson Sandberg (tar sitt namn när han blir husar 1879), f 28/7 1862 i Oppmanna. Avviker 1881 från Gumlösa och förs till obefintliga 1882. Obefintlig i folk 1890, finns inte i folk 1900.

1654.21.27200,  [Kristianstad]  Gumlösa,  AI.8, Husförhör, 1877 - 1885, 106-0,  Bild 83 av 192  

I en fråga på Ancestry forum avav en annan frågeställare, Sandberg, anges ett konfirmationsdatum 1877, kan detta vara i Glimåkra?

chrissan
0
#7

Hans far rymde till Amerika ca 1866 och lämnade hustru och 4 barn.

Leiper
0
#8

#6 Oj, det där verkar brännas tycker jag..!  Han kan ju absolut vara konfirmerad i Glimåkra, och därför finns det antecknat i den gamla bibeln..?

Och ang årtalet 1882 då han anges som obefintlig så kan det också stämma, jag hittade lite mer info nu på ett träd i ancestry.com jag fått tillgång till att han gifte sig i Maine den 18 okt 1884, så han var ju redan där då iaf…

Leiper
0
#9

Spännande chrissan! SkrattandeJag hittade en Johan född i Oppmanna nu i DDSS där fadern var en Johan Niklasson och modern Kersta Jönsdotter från nr. 30 i Oppmanna

(länken tog jag bort eftersom det inte fungerade som jag ville)

chrissan
0
#10

Han finns i Centrala Soldatregistret med hänvisning till Skånes Knektregister, där kan det finnas mer:

Aktnummer: SH-02-0089-1879

Sandberg, John  [Johansson]

  Född: 

1862-07-28

  Regemente: 

Skånes husarregemente

  Kompani: 

ÖVERSTELÖJTNANTENS

  Socken: 

Oderljunga

  Rote: 

Troedsberga

Leiper
0
#11

Tack, jag tittar i generalmönsterrullorna nu på SVAR så får vi se om han nämns där också.

chrissan
0
#12

#9 Det stämmer med födelseboken i Oppmanna.

chrissan
0
#13

Konfirmationsboken i Glimåkra är inte scannad för det aktuella året, den består av en kartong med lösa papper tydligen.

chrissan
0
#14

Han finns på  A0028959_00097

chrissan
0
#15

 A0028960_00134

Generalmönsterrulla 1883 uppslag 134

John Sandberg avförd 13 februari 1882 för rymning!

chrissan
0
#16

1889 utvandrar hans mor och yngre bror:

Post 401084

Jönsdotter, Bengta
Hustru (gift kvinna)

f. 21/11 1834 i Gumlösa, Kristianstads län (Skåne)

Utvandrad 31/5 1889
från Fjärlöv 2, Gumlösa, Kristianstads län (Skåne)
till Amerika

Källa: Husförhörslängd, s. 87

Emibas emigrationsakt: Gumlösa L 1889 006

Post 401085

Johansson, Olof
Åboson (ogift man) (drängson var väl mer riktigt)

f. 15/11 1865 i Oppmanna, Kristianstads län (Skåne)

Utvandrad 31/5 1889
från Fjärlöv 2, Gumlösa, Kristianstads län (Skåne)
till Amerika

Källa: Husförhörslängd, s. 87

Emibas emigrationsakt: Gumlösa L 1889 007

chrissan
0
#17

År 1900 bor Olof i Monson, Maine:

Name:      Olaf Johanson
[Olaf Johnson]     Home in 1900:      Monson, Piscataquis, Maine    Age:      34    Birth Date:      Nov 1865    Birthplace:      Sweden    Race:      White    Gender:      Male    Immigration Year:      1889    Relationship to Head of House:      Boarder    Father's Birthplace:      Sweden    Mother's Birthplace:      Sweden    Marital Status:      Single    Residence :      Monson Town, Piscataquis, Maine

Leiper
0
#18

Ha ha, du är en fantastisk forskare Chrissan! Glad

Jag hittade honom också precis nu, för år 1880 då han i juli 1879 ersattte den förre Anders Sandberg på nr 89 i Sandby skvadron.

Tack för all hjälp med detta, jag tror de amerikanska släktingarna uppskattar det mycket!

chrissan
0
#19

Eftersom det med stor sannolikhet är brodern som finns i Monson 1900 bör det vara rätt John Sandberg, han hette alltså John även i Sverige precis som min farfars far i Skåne, som hävdade att det skulle uttalas Joon.

chrissan
0
#20

Enligt census 1900 var Olaf arbetare i en skiffergruva, en stopr näring i Monson, här en notis från Postland Transcript 29 juni 1898:

  Piscataquis County

   Olaf Johnson, an employee in the Monson Maine Slate Company's mill was injured Friday noon,  being struck on the forehead by the crank to one of the hand derricks used in hoisting slate blocks on to the saw tables.  A gash four inches in length was cut, and the frontal bone was fractured.

chrissan
0
#21

Systern Pernilla utvandrar 1882:

Post 414897

Johansdotter, Pernilla
Piga (ogift kvinna)

f. 22/1 1860 i Oppmanna, Kristianstads län (Skåne)

Utvandrad 27/10 1882
från Kungsgården, Norra Sandby, Kristianstads län (Skåne)
till Amerika

Källa: Husförhörslängd, s. 5

Emibas emigrationsakt: Norra Sandby L 1882 029

chrissan
0
#22

Modern till Ernest och Ragnar (Rayner) Sandberg gifter om sig med Peter Nelson från Sverige, så barnen står som Nelson i census 1900.

Leiper
0
#23

#22 Ja, i trädet jag har sett så anges att John dog redan den 2 nov 1891 i Monson, Maine och att hans hustru Nellie Peterson sedan var omgift med Peter Nelson. De hade barnen August 1894 och Emil 1897.

chrissan
0
#24

Man kan undra om detta är systrn Pernilla som emigrerade i nov 1882 från Sverige, hon var född i januari - men en 1:a och en 7:a kan förväxlas på vägen:

Name:      Nellie Carlson    Home in 1900:      Monson, Piscataquis, Maine    Age:      39    Birth Date:      Jul 1860    Birthplace:      Sweden    Race:      White    Gender:      Female    Immigration Year:      1883    Relationship to Head of House:      Wife    Father's Birthplace:      Sweden    Mother's Birthplace:      Sweden    Mother: number of living children:      2    Mother: How many children:      2    Spouse's name:      John    Marriage Year:      1885    Marital Status:      Married    Years Married:      15    Residence :      Monson Town, Piscataquis, Maine

Kyla
0
#25

My name is Kyla Sandberg. I am the great-granddaughter of John Sandberg, the subject of this thread. Ed D. offered to contact a friend in Sweden for me. I have not heard from Ed recently. Someone on an Ancestry board just refered me to this board. I do not know Swedish, but I found out how to use the translate feature on Google. I have read with great interest what has been said on this thread and i thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

I have the Bible that was mentioned. John's name in the Bible is John Johansson. The Bible was given to him on his confirmation, May 1877.  The parish name Glimåkra was not found in this Bible, but on a loose piece of paper in another Bible. Also, the information on Lund came from my father, who had wriiten a note that John's records would be found in that city. 

My elderly aunt tells me that John had a sister that lived in Minnesota, USA. She  was married and lived on a farm. She had no children. Also, I have recently found out that John had two cousins that lived in Monson, Maine. They were Olof and Per Nilson (Nelson). Per married John's widow  Pernilla Persdotter (Nellie Peterson). Per Nilson emmigrated from Skanör Parish, Nov. 2, 1882.

My grandfather was Ragnar (Ryner) Sandberg.  Yes, John was married in Monson, Maine  on Oct. 18, 1884. He died Nov. 2, 1891. I have Ragnar's Baptism record and there is no mention of where his father was from. Also, Monson, Maine town records were burnt for that time period and no Swedsih church records are known to exist for Monson.    

From what has been said on this thread, it looks like John Sandberg may have been in the military. I had suspected that.  I would love to discuss this further.

I can't thank you enough for all your kindness!

Kyla SandbergGlad

Leiper
0
#26

Hello Kyla and welcome to this forum! Great news you bring to us about your great grandfather, it comfirms a lot what we'd expected in the discusssion. I got an email from Ed this evening, but he didn't mentioned that he had give you this information yet. But said that you're cousins… Perhaps you've got it now :-)

/Leif Persson (leiper)

chrissan
0
#27

If we can find out about the Nelsons that would be a help. Does "cousin" mean 1st cousin (kusin in Swedish) or a relative? In English it can also mean someone who is just a relation, I believe.

chrissan
0
#28

Yes!

John Sandberg´s father was Johan Niklasson, born 15 June 1829 in Östra Sandby. The birth record says that the family lived at Ranseröd village. Here we find Niklas Nilsson, b 1782 and wife Lusse Olasdotter b 1788. Their children include another son, Nils born 20 March 1824.

(SE/LLA/13280 Norra Sandby AI:2 (1829-1831)  Bild 74 / sid 72)

This son, Nils Niklasson, is living in Gumlösa in 1863 when his son Ola (Olof) is born. Ola emigrates in 1884, from the same place as John Sandberg. Ola has a brother, Per, born in  October 1860. The dates fit with the 1900 US Census for Monson.

(1654.19.67800,  [Kristianstad]  Gumlösa,  AI.6, Husförhör, 1861 - 1867, 87-0,  Bild 83 av 130)  

Thus, John Sandberg has two cousins on his father´s side, named Ola (Olof) and Per Nilsson. We can now be even more sure that we have found the right person.

chrissan
0
#29

According to the Naturalization record 1893, Peter Nelson in Monson was born 6 Oct 1860 which is exactly the right date for John Sandberg´s cousin Per Nilsson.

Also, Olof Nelson in Monson gives his birth date as 31 May 1863, again exactly right for Ola Nilsson.

Kyla
0
#30

 Yes,  Ed sent me an email. I thank you all. You have done some amazing work!!! Great detective work. Yes, by using cousin, i meant first cousin. I believe that the puzzle is solved! It amazes me that John's name in his military record was spelled exactly the same as he spelled it in his Bible when he recorded the birth of his sons in America "John Sandberg".

Chrissan, Where did you find the naturalization records with birth dates for Per and Olof Nelson? 

I can't put into words how thrilled and happy I am to have all this information.  It is amazing, I was thinking of John Sandberg and his Bible this morning. This has been a day that i will not forget!!

You are all wonderful people.

Kyla SandbergGlad

chrissan
0
#31

I found the naturalization records on Ancestry.com. They are just a scanned card index. Presumably, it will be possible to get the complete papers based on them.

chrissan
0
#32

The fourth child,  sister Lovisa Johansdotter born 1 Nov 1857 leaves for North America on May 18, 1876.

(1654.20.6200,  [Kristianstad]  Gumlösa,  AI.7, Husförhör, 1868 - 1877, 74-0,  Bild 62 av 189  )

Kyla
0
#33

Wow, amazing what you have found out! Does the number 1654.20.6200 refer to a Genline number or SVAR number? I plan to subscribe again to Genline so I can view the records.

You are so very kind to do all this work and I so much appreciate it. I had thought the John Sandberg puzzle would never be solved. It all seemed to be a dead end.

Kyla

chrissan
0
#34

The numbers refer to Genline, some of the references (w/o that type of number) refer to AD-online, but can be found in Genline using the volume and page reference.

Kyla
0
#35

Thanks again ever so much! Glad

Phryxe
0
#36

Kyla, that's a cool name ;)

Kyla
0
#37

Thanks!  That is my real name. I have been enjoying this forum and all the wonderful people who live in the country of my ancestors. Three great-grandparents were from Sweden. Sorry I can not communicate in Swedish.

Phryxe
0
#38

Kyla = Cold, Chill, Nip, Coldness (Google Translate)

Kyla
0
#39

Wow, Thanks! I did not know that my name had a Swedish translation. Ha Ha.

chrissan
0
#40

Kyla

If you look at this link

you can see what John Sandberg would have looked like as a hussar. This is a modern "hobby" version of the old regiment, still having parades etc.

Click on Bildgalleri, it shows modern shows with the authentic material and uniforms.

Kyla
0
Bild 1. Klicka för att öppna i full storlek.
#41

Wow! Very beautifu and impressive.

Were these but paid well? were they drafted or did they apply for the job? Were they under a contract where they had to stay so many years as a Hussar?

I wonder if John went to Denmark and then America.

Another question, I have not been Able to find Oppmannasjö Parish on a map of Sweden, I found Gumlösa. I found John, his mother and brother Olof  in the 1880 census on SVAR. They were in Gumlösa. I wonder why it gives John's birth parish as Gumlösa. Maybe the census taker was not very accurate. He is listed the line under his mother and brother, but as a different family. I wonder why he is listed as a different family.  It gives his occupation as Husfar and his name as John Johansson. 

 I wish my father was alive to learn all this information. We had wondered for years about John. my father's name was John too.

 I will try to attach a photo of John with his wife Nellie and son Ragnar (Ryner).

chrissan
0
#42

The "husfar" ("Father of the house" ) is wrongly transcribed,it says "hussar" with the second s written in the old style, very common then. It should be one s in Swedish

He formally had his own household since he is a working man. You applied to become a soldier, if you passed the tests you were in. The army was paid, apparently the hussars did not always have ther own housig but for infantry the job usually came with a small cottage and some land. I do not know if they had a certain number of years in their contracts, but John ran away w/o permission according to his records. He certainly looks like a cavalry soldier - hair, moustache and very straght back. A copy of the later King Gustaf Adolf as a young prince. Nice to see him!

Most people emigrated via Denmark from Skåne and the souther provinces. They had more contact with Denmark, my grandparents (b 1882) felt Copenhagen to be their capital, not Stockholm.

Kyla
0
Bild 1. Klicka för att öppna i full storlek.
#43

Thanks for the added information on the census. Is Oppmannasjö Parish too small to be on a mordern map or maybe it does not exist any more?

Yes, John looks like a military man in his photo.

Some of my family is going to be so excited when I tell them all I have found. I hope some day to find out what happened to John's father and siblings in America, but that can wait. i think it will be a long chase.

I have tried to add another photo that was always said to be John, but it does not look like the same man to me. Now I think it could be the brother, Olof.

This has been great fun!

Thank You!

chrissan
0
#44

It looks very much like him but the moustache is lighter and he is slightly different in appearance.

Oppmanna parish is easy to find if you serch in Google maps, just write Oppmanna.

Kyla
0
#45

Thanks Again!

Kyla
0
#46

What do the numbers **A0028959_00097 and *A0028960_00134 refer to? Are those Arkiv Digital numbers? I just found out about Arkiv Digital.***

Is Oppmannasjö. and Oppmanna the same?

Thanks

Kyla

chrissan
0
#47

These numbers are the SVAR picture IDs, you can use them in the Search function to arrive at the correct page.

Oppmanna is the parish, Oppmannasjö is the lake in the parish (and a small village I believe)

Kyla
0
#48

Ok, now I understand.

Thanks,

Kyla

Kyla
0
#49

What is DDSS and AD Online? Is AD Arkiv Digital?

Thanks, You have been a wonderful help,

Kyla

chrissan
0
#50

AD online is Arkiv Digital on line (they also have CDs with parish records)

DDSS is a free database with vital records från South Sweden:

www.ddss.nu

Kyla
0
#51

Thanks! You have been wonderful and kind. I am learning so much.

You had mentioned that John's father fled to America about 1866. I have to wonder if he was in some kind of trouble. i spoke with an elderly family member and there was a family story that he came to America and his family never heard from him again.